A personal health budget is an amount of money to support a person’s identified health and wellbeing needs, the application of which is planned and agreed between the person, their representative or, in the case of children, their families and the CCG. It is not new money but it is money that would normally have been spent by the NHS on the person’s care, used more flexibly to meet their identified needs.
Having a personal health budget
- Radically changes the relationship between the health professional and patient to a much more equal one
- Delivers integration at individual level and higher quality care
- Works well for people with complex needs – eg those at high risk of hospital admission
- Enables a wider range of possible solutions than traditionally commissioned services
- Promotes self-management and reduces reliance on NHS services
Personal Health Budgets in NHS Continuing Healthcare
Adults who are eligible for NHS Continuing Healthcare
(CHC) funding, and children in receipt of continuing care have had a legal right to have a personal health budget since October 2014.
From April 2019, NHS England expects that unless there are exceptional circumstances, everyone living in their own home who is in receipt of NHS Continuing Healthcare funding will have a personal health budget.
More information can be found on the NHS England link below which includes a short video
Personal Health Budgets for other people using health and hospital services frequently
Tameside and Glossop CCG is pleased to launch the extension of the personal health care budget offer to people who frequently use health services, enabling them to have greater choice, flexibility and control over the health care and support they receive. Based on findings of the national pilots we anticipate that this may include people from one or more of the following groups:-
- Children with an Education Health and Care Plan
- Long-term rehabilitation
- Long-term health conditions
- Long term mental health needs
- Learning Disability or Autism and Mental Health needs
We are aiming to co-produce our local offer by working with, and learning from, patients and staff throughout 2016/7.
- Information leaflet including our local offer
- Frequently asked questions
- Personal Support Plan
- Staff Briefing Slide Pack
- To follow – Information events and training programme
To find out more
If you are a healthcare professional or a patient living in the Tameside and Glossop area and would be interested in finding out more about personal health budgets please email: TGCCG.email@example.com.
Who will be happy to talk to you in more detail about the offer of personal health budgets in your area.